Wednesday, June 2, 2010
Green Lantern Corps monthly series (Review)
Citizen's Grade: Impressive.
The Green Lantern Corps Volumes tell the stories and events taking place in the lives of the Green Lanterns, excluding Hal Jordan (the main character of the Green Lantern series). Based mostly around a few major characters, the book reads like a soap opera, sci-fi, action flick! I love this series so far, and so do a lot of other readers as well, making this the best-selling "spin-off" series in DC Comics. The plots often play off of what is going on in the main Green Lantern books, but from the perspectives of the thousands of other Lanterns. This makes for multiple stories and plots taking place simultaneously, as detailed in the Scavenger Review for Emerald Eclipse (there's not enough space here to detail all the multiple angles and plots going on in every volume).
The Green Lantern Corps volumes to date:
1. Recharge (collected mini-series). With the Guardians of the Universe back, the time has come to re-form the fabled Green Lantern Corps. While some familiar ring-wielders return to duty, others are recruited....and not everyone appreciates being drafted! Written by Geoff Johns & Dave Gibbons, with artwork by Patrick Gleason.
2. To Be a Lantern. From the Guardians' citadel on the newly fortified planet Oa, Green Lantern Guy Gardner is assigned...against his will...to a feudal world of shadows and sudden death. And across the galaxy, new Lanterns discover what it truly means to wear the Corps insignia, as their courage and comradeship is tested to the limit. Written by Dave Gibbons, with artwork by Gibbons & Patrick Gleason.
3. The Dark Side of Green. Green Lantern Guy Gardner, formerly of Earth, runs afoul of a murderous alien called The Dominator. While Gardner seeks the being's homeworld of Dominion, the Dominator reaches Earth. Now, only the rogue group of Green Lanterns called the Corpse has a prayer of stopping him....if only they weren't already dead. Written by Dave Gibbons & Keith Champagne, with artwork by Gibbons, Patrick Gleason, & Tom Nguyen.
4. Ring Quest. In the wake of The Sinestro Corps War, Mongul is amassing new power....and only The Green Lantern Corps can stand against him! Written by Peter Tomasi, with art by Partrick Gleason.
5. Sins of the Star Sapphire. The war with the Sinestro Corps may have ended, but the Green Lanterns still face some unlikely ripples from the battle, realizing that love's power has no boundaries. Written by Peter Tomasi, with artwork by Patrick Gleason.
6. Emerald Eclipse. Mongul enslaves the planet Daxam, making it the home world of his Corps. Will Sodam Yat, the Green Lantern known as Ion, fight to save his homeworld, which he's vowed never to return to? Written by Peter Tomasi, with art by Patrick Gleason. See: Graphic Novel Review for Green Lantern Corps: Emerald Eclipse for more details.
The Writers and Artists who worked on these volumes all did great, playing off Geoff Johns' & Ethan Van Sciver's view of the Green Lantern Universe. They helped make this spin-off book a top seller, making the Green Lantern Franchise the strongest in DC Comics. With another "spin-off" ongoing series; Emerald Warriors, beginning soon, Tomasi, Gleason, Gibbons, & company have proven their abilities.