Monday, July 18, 2011

John Constantine Hellblazer: Original Sins (Review)


Citizen's Grade: O.K.

I enjoyed the movie Constantine, but hadn't collected any of the Comic Books or Graphic Novels...by the time I saw the movie there were several collections (many of them hard to find), and my OCD about completing collections wouldn't allow me to purchase them. Then...Vertigo/DC decided to re-release the books from the beginning...I was excited and purchased Original Sins, the first collection.


Original Sins starts at #1, and although it is interesting and I love the genre of fighting battles of the "Spiritual Realm", Constantine spends much of the time complaining and sullying about in this volume rather than "taking the bull by the horns". Over and over again there are references to a "Newcastle incident" that is never explained....and then there is a couple Swamp Thing issues.

I will try the next couple of collections that are released and hopefully get around to reading some of Garth Ennis' work with the character, but I'm a little put off by the first volume. I'm hoping that this volume is just "build up" and future volumes will have Hellblazer more involved in fighting the fight. Original Sins was written by Jamie Delano, with a majority of the art by John Ridgway.

No comments:

Post a Comment